If you’ve been thinking of remodeling all or part of your home, condo or luxury pad, you might want to consider a green remodel. According to the National Association of Home Builders, Green Practices in home building and remodeling have marked a shift in the way we live today. Homes built today are 100% more energy-efficient than homes built in the 1970s. Green improvements can save money and help protect the environment. As a matter of fact, Green Building & the movement towards Eco-Sustainability is very popular on the Big Island of Hawaii and you might actually get some tax credits!
What does Green Building actually mean?
It means you use certain materials and practices that are better for the environment and for your health. By following a few guidelines, you can easily complete an eco-friendly remodeling project.
- Recycle. Whenever possible, choose materials for your real estate made from recycled products. This cuts down on the amount of waste piling up in our landfills.
Use local materials. Local materials don’t have as far to travel, so transporting them costs less and uses less fuel. They are also more durable since they are already adapted to your climate.
- Think sustainable. Products made from bamboo and cork are better for the environment because they can be easily replaced. Bamboo can grow as much as 1 meter each day.
- Save as much energy as possible. Install energy efficient windows and add insulation throughout your home. Seal cracks around doors and windows. Purchase new, energy efficient appliances. Not only will you help the environment, you’ll also save money on your electric bill.
Always consider indoor air quality. Choose products with little or no volatile organic compounds. Use green cleaning products inside your home to reduce indoor air pollution.
- Find ways to cut back on water use. Devices like high efficiency washing machines and dual-flush or low-flow toilets use less water than their traditional counterparts. Use xeriscaping for your yard. If you have the budget, consider installing a rainwater harvesting system.
- Think before you throw away. Before you throw away anything, from appliances to building materials, make sure no one else can use it. Place an ad on Freecycle or Craigslist. You may be surprised by what other people need.
LUVA Real Estate strives to deliver superior service in the luxury home vacation rental and general real estate market in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii and surrounding areas. As an extension of our company’s top-tier services, we offer information and best practices to assist you in keeping our planet greener and more eco-friendly for generations to come.
And now for a quick commercial break! “When planning your next vacation to Hawaii, give us a call (we don’t bite) so we can assist you in finding an upscale vacation rental on the Big Island or Maui (we’ve got beautiful luxury suites available at Wailea Beach Villas and more) or we can put a really cool custom tropical itinerary together. Perhaps you’re looking to buy a luxury home, condo or a “peace” of land in the Kailua-Kona, Keauhou, Kukio, Hualalai, Waikoloa area…we’re here for you. Along with general real estate, we specialize in high-end resort sales and private home management. Our agents are dedicated, knowledgeable and experienced.”
As always, we appreciate your comments, feedback and just thinking out loud!
Call us at 1-855-769-5111 or email email@example.com more information. Thank you!
Energy Saving Home Guide – https://smarterhouse.org/
Dual-flush toilets. – https://www.caromausa.com/products/dual-flush-toilets
Xeriscaping – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping